Spring has finally arrived. Although some states may still be experiencing snow, spring weather is coming. The snow and ice that comes with winter has many potential dangers for workers, but spring and summer brings with them their own unique risks. Tornadoes, thunderstorms, and floods put workers at risk. Here are a few quick tips to help you protect your workers from hazardous weather.
- Pay attention to all weather forecasts. Severe weather and strike suddenly and without any warning.
- The safest place from lightning is inside a well constructed building. To be considered a well constructed building, it must be fully enclosed with a roof, walls, floors, and electric wiring, plumbing, etc to ground any lightning that might hit the building.
- Have an emergency plan in place
- Learn the warning sides of tornadoes and monitor all watches and warnings
- If the worksite is in a flood zone, know places you can get to quickly to reach higher ground
Safety in poor weather is very important. A seemingly calm day and quickly turn into a dangerous situation. Fortunately , awareness and proper preparedness can go a long way towards keeping workers safe.